Abbay around Angles
Departure - Angles-sur-l'Anglin

Augustinian Abbey of Sainte-Croix


Construction: 4th quarter 12th century


The Monastery of the Holy Cross, where he remains the church, was also founded by a bishop of Poitiers, in the Benedictine rule. Towards 1070, the bishop of Poitiers Isembert II gives more autonomy to the monastery of St. Croix. His successor Peter, in 1090, gives him authority over the parish of Angles, Saint-Pierre (uptown), on the right bank of the river, while the abbey is on the left bank.

The bedside, and its transept apsidioles as well as a bay of the nave have been permanently destroyed in the second half of the 19th century during the construction of a bridge over the Angles and its access road. Subsistent therefore a span of the nave and the west facade. It is difficult to know precisely the extent of the convent buildings


Filed in 1926 Historical Monuments
Owned by the town


See map
View images


Departure - Angles-sur-l'Anglin
Augustinian Abbey of Sainte-Croix

Step 1 - Archigny
Abbaye de l'Etoile

Step 2 - Saint-Savin
Abbaye de Saint-Savin

Step 3 - Fontgombault
Abbaye Notre-Dame

Check - Angles-sur-l'Anglin
Castle Ruins of "Terre-Neuve"


© eda 2004-2008